See Detailed article at this link: Fatal AV Crash details
This Tesla which is modified for autonomous driving has an on-board computer which didn’t recognize and/or react to the obstacle in front of it. The automatic braking system again failed. The proliferation of the “UNconnected” Autonomous Vehicle appears to be creating hazards on public streets, based on two recent USA crashes of AVs. The supercomputer coordinated system advocated on this site seems like the better alternative to the proliferation of weaker, unconnected computer controlled cars.
MICHIGAN AUTOMOTIVE NEWS (modified for web posting)
Elon Musk, federal investigators at odds over fatal Tesla crash investigation
Updated 4:55 AM; Posted 4:02 AM 4/3/2018
In this Friday March 23, 2018 photo provided by KTVU, emergency personnel work a the scene where a Tesla electric SUV crashed into a barrier on U.S. Highway 101 in Mountain View, Calif. The National Transportation Safety Board has sent two Continue reading
The Proposal for Autonomous Vehicle testing in the Beizhan bus terminal seems like a safe way to address this technology. Sensors in smart buses can be tested safely with professional drivers in an area where pedestrians and bicycles are prohibited. The US is moving too fast I think. Pedestrian Killed in US by Automated Vehicle. See Guiyang Tech Village .
The Autonomous Vehicle (“AV” or Automated Vehicle) technology is the next big thing in technology. The Big Data Valley initiative of Guiyang can jump start the creation and nurturing of a technology Village (Guiyang Tech Village) in Guiyang. The Big Data initiative has already started this process, but there is still a need for focus of the resources being created by the the Big Data initiative. AV technology requires a combination of two of the “Big Three” technology initiatives in the world, Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Robotics (Biotech is the third). China and the USA are similar in that about 2/3 of GDP is consumer driven. Housing is the #1 consumer purchase, and cars are #2. The market for auto enhancements, such as AV, is massive.
These concepts are developed elsewhere on this site, but the implementation of AI and Robotics in Guiyang can use the AV technology framework. Sensors, machine learning, actuators, and decision making are all required when a car, truck, or bus is driven by a human. The AV research, the testing, and application of that research provides a concrete focus for so many of these advanced research subjects. An AV initiative in Guiyang has the potential of attracting top talent to Guiyang companies and universities.
Technology people can usually choose where they want to live, but the technology village concept multiplies the productivity of individuals. Guiyang already has the quality of life that is attractive to the young techies. See: Guiyang Top City The AV provides a focus for those techies.
The implementation plan is specific. Develop and test AV technology using existing Guiyang buses and drivers:
- Automate bus maneuvering and parking in the North Guiyang Train Station (Beizhan Gaotia).
- Retrofit existing BRT buses with sensors, actuators, and computers with cloud communication.
- Connect the BRT buses to the Guiyang Big Data infrastructure and then begin building and learning.
- Retain existing bus drivers to monitor effectiveness of the developing technologies and provide tertiary manual override in event of technology failures of primary and secondary automation. Also, presence of drivers on the buses is important for customers to feel safe.
- Initially it is essential to get “cheaters” under control in the dedicated BRT lane of the #2 Ring Road. Connect the BRT cameras to software that can identify people who break the rules against using the dedicated BRT bus lane for cars. Progressively heavy fines should be used to keep private drivers clear of the bus lane. Fine revenue can also be used to help finance AV research.
- When the “bugs” are out of the BRT automated vehicle control system, wealthy drivers should be permitted to retrofit their vehicles with AV equipment. This will allow them to return to the dedicated bus lane for high speed travel around Guiyang, taking advantage of both the dedicated bus lane and the Big Data controlled transport system.
- While Guiyang is one of the most densely populated cities in the world, with five million people stacked together on the plateau, wealthy drivers could take advantage of early AV technology to maneuver the city. After using AV on the BRT dedicated lane, they can gradually expand their range of operation to go to and from common destinations, like home and work, etc.
- As prices of AV equipment fall, more and more Guiyang people will be able to afford to enter the automated vehicle system as it gradually expands from the #2 Ring Road into the general streets and alleys of Guiyang.
- Companies that cooperate with Guiyang early in development of AV technology will be leaders in the AV industry as it expands.
- Guiyang will grow a world class technology community, the Guiyang Tech Village.
See the following links for background:
About Guiyang, Guizhou, and www.TourGuizhou.com
2017 Big Data Expo
Big Data and AV in Guiyang
2017 Expo Announcement